PTA / PTSA Do’s and Don’ts
Communicating about the 2017 November Bond
The Austin Independent School District Board of Trustees unanimously approved a Nov. 7, 2017, bond election for $1,050,984,000, which would bring 21st-century learning spaces to students without increasing our tax rate. On Sept. 7, the ACPTA voted as a body to support the bond.
As the November election approaches, we would like to provide a reminder about what members of AISD PTAs and PTSAs can and cannot communicate about the bond when on and off district property.
First and foremost, because the ACPTA voted in support of the bond, any individual ACPTA member PTAs and PTSAs are allowed to speak out in support of the bond, but you (as a PTA organization) are not allowed to speak out against the bond in any capacity.
While our organization is allowed to advocate for the bond, we are limited in the extent to which we can do on on AISD property (both physical and digital). Please review the following guidelines as your PTA or PTSA speaks out in favor of the bond.
On AISD physical properties
- Tell parents and community members about your individual PTA / PTSA and the ACPTA’s decision to support the bond.
- Encourage parents and community members to learn more about the bond by visiting www.AISDfuture.com and attending the upcoming Bond Open Houses.
- Share information and printed materials about the bond provided by AISD. Those can be accessed at https://www.austinisd.org/bond/toolkit.
- Find your school data here and post on your PTA bulletin board.
- Hold advocacy events (where you can persuade to your heart’s content) anywhere except Austin ISD property. Some ideas are: HOA meetings, local coffee shops, public library (reserve here), private homes, across the street from your school campus, etc!
- Pass out flyers and put up yard signs in the public areas that are adjacent to your school. (We have been told that handing out flyers to the pick up/drop off line, if outside of school property, is allowed.)
- Advocate for the bond beyond stating factually that your individual PTA / PTSA and the ACPTA has voted to support the bond. (Off-campus is OK.)
- Pass out any materials directly advocating for the bond.
- Use district resources (printers, copiers, etc.) to produce materials advocating for the bond.
When you are not on AISD property, you can speak freely about your individual PTA / PTSA and the ACPTA’s support of the bond, host pro-bond events and pass out pro-bond materials.
On AISD digital properties
- Update any PTA / PTSA digital properties directly connected to a school (ex: PTA / PTSA webpage on a campus website, PTA / PTSA section in a campus newsletter) to include a statement of your organization and the ACPTA’s decision to support the bond.
- Include links to learn more about the bond at www.AISDfuture.com and share the schedule for the upcoming Bond Open Houses, highlighting the open house designated for your school’s vertical team.
- Share links to bond materials provided by AISD, which can be accessed at https://www.austinisd.org/bond/toolkit.
- Post pro-bond materials on your school’s PTA Facebook page, website, e-newsletter if they are not run by the school.
- Advocate for the bond on any PTA / PTSA digital properties that are directly connected to a school (ex: PTA / PTSA section in a campus newsletter distributed by the school / AISD employees).
When you are communicating through digital properties that are not directly connected to AISD or a specific school (ex: PTA / PTSA managed social media accounts, independent websites or newsletters, etc.), you can speak freely about your individual PTA / PTSA and the ACPTA’s support of the bond, share pro-bond materials, etc.